The Lost Library of MOO
Once again the Lost Library comes back to life. Long spelunking in local backups and the Wayback Machine has turned up many of these documents. Most links in documents hosted locally at the Library have been verified and updated. Pages marked with
strike-through have not been found, while those in italics might still be possible to reconstruct from the Wayback Machine.
If you know of locations of any of these, or have copies, please let us know.
If you are the author or copyright holder of any document that we're hosting locally at the Library please let us know if you'd like us to remove the document and/or link to a current correct location for it.
The Lost Library of MOO really did become lost, when lucien.[sims.]berkeley.edu was taken offline. Bryan Lewis of SIMS was good enough to give us the top-level page of the site -- all the documents that had been kept onsite were gone, but we've done our best to rediscover them wherever they may be and to reconstruct them where they were not readily available.
Thanks for helping recover these docs belong to:
And thanks, finally, to Jerome McDonough, who first created this repository, and by whose kind permission we now host and maintain it.
Manuals, Tutorials, and FAQs
Clients, Servers, Cores, Tools
- tkMOO-light, the Lost Librarian's favorite MOO client. Runs on UNIX, Windows, and Mac.
- MOO Database Browser -- tools for browsing, exporting, and otherwise manipulating MOO database files
MOO Research Papers
- Interactive Multi-User Computer Games by Dr. Richard Bartle
- TinySex is Safe Sex by Claire Benedikt. First appeared as "Thoughts on Cyberspace and Safe Sex" in Passionate Living Magazine (Nov. 1994); reprinted under this title in Infobahn Magazine (June 1995).
- Gender Swapping on the Internet by Amy S. Bruckman
- Identity Workshop: Emergent Social and Psychological Phenomena in Text-Based Virtual Reality (PostScript) by Amy Bruckman
- Programming for Fun: MUDs as a Context for Collaborative Learning by Amy Bruckman
- The MediaMOO Project: Constructionism and Professional Community by Amy Bruckman and Mitchel Resnick
- Moose Crossing Proposal (PostScript) by Amy Bruckman
- Defining a Design Language in text-based Virtual Community by Anna Cicognani
- On the Linguistic Nature of Cyberspace and Virtual Communities (PDF) by Anna Cicognani
- The realms system, collaboration and administration in MOO environments by Bradley Dilger
- Gender Differences in Text-Based Virtual Reality by Lynn Cherny
- The Modal Complexity of Speech Events in a Social Mud by Lynn Cherny
- The Situated Behavior of MUD Back Channels (PDF) by Lynn Cherny
- "Objectifying" the Body in the Discourse of an Object-Oriented MUD by Lynn Cherny
- Mudding: Social Phenomena in Text-Based Virtual Realities by Pavel Curtis
- Miscommunication in Multi-modal Collaboration (PostScript) by David Traum and Pierre Dillenourg. From working notes of the AAAI Workshop on Detecting, Repairing, And Preventing Human--Machine Miscommunication, August 1996.
- Grounding in Multi-modal Collaboration (PostScript) by Pierre Dillenbourg, David Traum, and Daniel Schneider. From the EuroAI&Education Conference, October 1996.
- Implications from a study on multi-modal collaborative problem solving by P. Dillenbourg, P. Jermann, D. Schneider, D. Traum, and C. Buiu. Proceedings 8th World Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Education, Kobe, Japan.
- Collaborative Networked Communication: MUDs as Systems Tools by Rémy Evard
- Building Blocks of Text-Based Virtual Environments (PostScript) by G. Scott Evans
- Muds in Education: New Environments, New Pedagogies by Tari Lin Fanderclai
- What's An Agent? by Leonard N. Foner
- On-line help: Considering the possibilities for facilitating social services through textual worlds by Heather J. Kelley
- Being There: The Use of Cyberspace in Computer-Mediated Communication (PostScript) by Jerome McDonough
- Collaborative Information Retrieval: Gopher from MOO by Larry Masinter and Erik Ostrom
- House of Words -- Designing Text and Community in MOO Environments by John Maxwell (PDF version)
- Communication in the Virtual Classroom by Colin Moock
- An application of Gowin's Vee Heuristic Model to Educational Research into Multi-User Simulated Environments as a Mechanism for Applying the Story Model to Transformative and Holistic Learning Situations by D. Jason Nolan
- Lust for Life: A discussion which considers the possibility of applying ideas of Integrated Curriculum development with Moos by D. Jason Nolan, who says, "Beware! This paper is both personal and informal at points."
- Muds Grow Up: Social Virtual Reality in the Real World by Pavel Curtis and David A. Nichols
- Electropolis: Communication and Community on Internet Relay Chat by Elizabeth M. Reid
- Cultural Formations in Text-Based Virtual Realities by Elizabeth Reid
- Virtual Reality: Reflections of Life, Dreams and Technology -- An Ethnography of a Computer Society by Michael S. Rosenberg
- The Psycho-Social Aspects of Multi-User Dimensions in Cyberspace : a review of the literature by James Sempsey III
- Internet Conferencing with Networked Virtual Environments by John Towell and Elizabeth Towell (first appeared in Internet Research)
- Analysis of MOO and WOO Environments by Sandrine Tognotti, Daniel K. Schneider, and Patrick Mendelsohn.
- Presence in Text-Based Networked Virtual Environments or "MUDS" by John Towell and Elizabeth Towell (first appeared in Presence)
- Presence in Front of the Fourth Wall of Cyberspace by Monika Wunderer (first appeared in Theatre in Cyberspace)
Other MOO Paper Collections
General MOO/MU* Resource Pages
Lost Resource Pages
- The Semi-Official MOO Patch Repository and Archive
- How to Make a Ball by Hackberry
- The ChibaMOO papers
- MediaMOO Papers
- MOO Papers Pointers from ACTLab, U. Texas x
- Winslow's MOO Resources! page
- MOOcentral Good for those of you interested in educational uses of MOO
- The Plastic Mud Index A general, searchable to online MOO/MU* resources
- The Borderlands MOOspace
- Gurk's (formerly BOB(c)'s) MOOGate - "the biggest list of MOOs on the web"
- Computer Writing & Research Labs' Mush & MOO page includes FAQs, clients, tutorials, Reference, etc.
- The Mizzou MOO page
- More about MOOs from the Instructional Technology Program at U.C. Berkeley
- MOOtropolis Home Page
- General MOO Information page at CalTech
- Anna Cicognani's collection of papers and articles
- Works and Days 25/26, Vol. 13, Nos. 1 and 2, 1995 Special Issue -- CyberSpaces: Pedagogy and Performance on the Electronic Frontier
- LambdaMOO's collection of MOO papers
- MOOville help files
- The MOOring Homepage of a webring of MOO-related websites.
- Diversity University's Home Page
- LitMUSE's resources page - very thorough
- Muds, Moos & Mushes: Hip-Waders in the CMC Swamp
Last updated 10 May 2017, by email@example.com.
(Previous hayseed.net updates and maintenance by Leigh Ann Hussey.)